Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

I dissed the "Shaun..."

I had it loaded into my laptop and was about to hit "play" when I had a thought about "Place of Safety" and everything else vanished and two hours later I've worked out a complete restructuring of the last section on paper because bits of it WERE drifting too close to a Hollywood-style story, which is the easy way out of a dilemma for a writer like me, not a path to truth. It was also avoidance of a logical direction for the story, something I'd set up but wasn't planning to do much with...until now.

Man...this tale keeps shifting on me. Just when I think I'm heading down the highway, again, suddenly this fork appears in the middle of it and I'm sent off on a narrow road into woods and hills and twists and turns and no way to see very far ahead. My muse must be having a blast. Dammit.

Now I must dig into the normal procedures for interrogation of suspects at Castelreagh. What's fun is, when I started doing that -- I happened upon a blog for a crime writers' group in that very city, and apparently he participated in NaNoWriMo last November. This is one of those little moments of serendipity that both freak me out and make me smile. And make me nervous.

The blogger's name is Gerard Brennan and he links to a number of other NI writers. Sounds like a fun group. I wonder if they're open to know-just-enough-to-get-you-into-trouble lads like me?

No comments: