Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Weird night means weird day

I had a hell of a time getting to sleep, last night, thanks to working on this new section of POS. The little bit about James Joyce made me happy, but it didn't settle my brain in the least and I was still fumbling at 4 in the morning. I finally dozed off and woke at 10:30, meaning I got a late start on everything I planned to do today -- laundry, groceries, lunch (2pm) and doing some quick scanning for work...

...Except I had scanner trouble. My HP has decided it doesn't have the memory available to let me scan, and it don't care that I dumped everything I had on there and shut it down and started it up four times. So a 2 hour job took seven hours, with me shooting photos of the artwork I did for my article on antique book packing (weeeee, just like James Joyce would do), dowloading them and cleaning them up in Photoshop. I want this ready to be reviewed while I'm in the Midwest, next week. I finished it and have everything in JPGs and a rewrite of the article done up...and it's only 10:30.

So...no writing done this evening. Which may be a good thing since I have to work, tomorrow. If I was able to make a living at my writing, I wouldn't have to worry about such a mundane thing, but since I don't...I must.

I'm reminded of when I was writing "Bobby Carapisi." I fell into this slow-as-molasses mold, where I was getting nowhere on the story for years...till I happened upon a model who embodied him so printed up his portrait and tacked it to my bulletin board. And he'd look at me and ask if I could just get the damned thing done and give him some peace. And so I did. Finished my first draft within three months (125K words) and polished it up and got it published. And it sold a few copies. Nothing major but I got the story out there and that's what counts.

I'm half afraid this section of POS is going to be the same, because it's rough on me and on Brendan...and I haven't even gotten to the truly brutal part, yet. But I need to get it done so we can go past it and -- and it's not going to be pleasant. But it's needed. The whole story suddenly shifted itself to aim for this moment and I can't wuss out.

Shit, just thinking about it gets me antsy. Enough for tonight.

No comments: