Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Finished "The Count of Monte Cristo"

Made it all the way through that book, and parts of it were a slog...especially towards the end, when all the moralizing and speechifying came about. That said, Dumas still managed to startle me more than a few times throughout the story by being brutally honest about Dantes' actions and the characters involved. The Count is even responsible for the death of someone completely innocent of any crime, thanks to his need for revenge. And its ending is remarkably bittersweet.

The dialogue and narrative got way too flowery and verbose, much of the time, but I'm glad I read it. I'm keeping my style as lean and spare as I can, from now on. Though maybe now I can handle reading some Dickens. But which one, first? David Copperfield or Great Expectations?

Got a little writing done on CK while waiting for the doctor...and waiting...and waiting...until a nurse finally came out and said he was running a bit behind. By 2 hours. I had to reschedule because I needed to drive to my next packing job and if I'd stayed till he saw me, I'd still be on the road, now. What irritates me is, I got there early, hoping he'd work me in early or at least on time. Nope. He's got this nasty habit of always running an hour late and there is no way around that, I guess.

I'm not getting CK done in time for NaNoWriMo. No question, now. So all I'm going to do is take notes as I think of things and focus on finishing DM's formatting. Besides, the fool story keeps wanting to be done as a script and not a book. At least, Carli wants it to. Grady and Chase aren't so thrilled, while Zeke doesn't really care but will back up Carli.

I hate it when my characters argue with me...and with each other...

No comments: