Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Can a serial killer really be a hero?

I know Dexter was like that, sort of. He only killed killers, kind of thing. But Carli's not like that. She's out for revenge and that involves causing the deaths of others. I mean, she's the heroine of the story...and she murders some people in some brutal ways. Is getting justice an acceptable justification for taking the law into your own hands?

I'm sort of wondering if Carli's a sociopath whose focus is on what's right, but which could shift to whatever she wants if she decides to. Or is she an avenging angel? I know she starts out knowing what she's doing is right and just...but is it? Does she grow to accept guilt from her slaughter?

Shit, I'm trying to write a simple revenge-thriller and it's turning into another books about the horrors of getting even...on how vengeance destroys not only the guilty but the innocent. I think I'm a friggin' authority of that kind of stuff, when I can barely even pull together a coherent story.

I broke away from CK and watched Shakespeare in Love as I ironed and mended some clothes. It's been my inspiration, many times, mainly because of how it suggests even Shakespeare had problems writing. The time structure falls apart, under repeated viewings, and the story relies too much on people simply not communicating well with each other...but I still like it. I also think Joseph Fiennes and his big brown eyes are total candy. He's still a good-looking man.

What's nice is, it helped me see some problems I'm having not just with CK but also OT. And gave me clues as to why I'm avoiding them.

Now I just need to find the time to focus...

No comments: