Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

About-face...

Okay, after whining about GPS yesterday, I have to give it props, today. It saved me while driving from Harrisburg. There's this nasty stretch headed for Corning where you're traveling over township roads and have to change from one route to another that's gotten me turned around more than once. This time, letting the GPS bitch tell me what to do, I made it through in record time.

It's a pretty drive, for the most part, up along the Susquehanna River for miles then over rolling hills of trees just beginning to change colors for the fall or open fields of fully grown corn stalks. The big drawback is so much of it is on two-lane blacktops with only the occasional passing lane. So if you get caught behind a slow-going rig or farmer, it's torture.

Something else I've have fun with on this trip is checking out the WiFi in different hotel chains. The service at the Best Western in Long Island City has improved to where it's good, not great, while the service at a Holiday Inn was next to impossible to use. The best was the La Quinta in Harrisburg; super fast and easy to get onto. Too bad the bed wasn't the most comfortable.

Through all of this, I carried my printout of OT, but got only a few chapters dug into. I guess it wasn't worth the effort; I can always make notes and transfer them once I'm home. Now I have a mountain of laundry to do and piles of paperwork to go through...which will be dealt with...eventually.

I didn't get to have Return to Darian's Point read by actors in London. Dammit. I really wanted this. But I've finally gotten it through my thick skull that winning competitions isn't about how good the script is; it's more about how the committee making the decision "feels about it." I was actually told that by two different contest organizers, so went back and saw other e-mails from contests that said the same damn thing -- that non-comment of how "it's all so very subjective." Talk about dense, on my part.

I'm glad the script got this much recognition, but the contest route means nothing to me, anymore, especially considering the cost of the damn things. I could have bought a new car with the money I've spent on entry fees over the years.

Back to the drawing board...and the thought of turning my DP scripts into books.

No comments: