Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

My characters piss me off...

Sometimes. Not always. And I know how this sounds...and maybe I am psychotic...but at least it's a fun psychosis and not something dangerous. I hope.

Anyway, Adam was messin' with me. First he sent all these little notes about changes he wants made to The Alice '65, then he did a walkabout on me when I tried to get going on it. But tonight, I worked it through the first act of the script.

We're not talking major changes -- shifting the location of one scene, cutting some language, adding in some of Adam's reticence earlier, things like that -- but they help. So far it's not so much a new draft as another polish. I'm also getting rid of some too-easy jokes that seem rather juvenile.

Everybody else is sitting, waiting their turns, politely. Adam's just being a daftie.

Of course, as Adam shifts so does everyone else, in response. The biggest is with Orisi and his "I'm important and you're not" speech. It's shorter, terser and (I hope) funnier. But you never know.

The humor throughout this script has never been the laugh-out-loud kind. I can sort of get away with the romantic-comedy moniker, but it's really more like just pleasant in the funny department. Which I like. Romantic comedies rely more on the chemistry of the leads to make them work than the humor.

Great pairs -- Spencer Tracy & Katherine Hepburn; Cary Grant & Irene Dunn; Clark Gable & Claudette Colbert; Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell; Doris Day & Rock Hudson; Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan. (Oops, almost forgot Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck.) It is my fervent dream to add Russell Tovey & Eliza Dushku to that list, with a bit of help from Gertrude.

Who says I don't aim high?

No comments: