Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Unintended helpfulness

I'm reading a book on writing comedy, by Sol Saks, that is proving to be less about making people laugh and more about telling a good story. His rules --

Be brief, simple, clear, bold, relevant, recognizable, controversial, unpredictable, original, and salable.

Do NOT:

Be courteous, reverent, or obedient; honor thy mother, father or any predecessor; have a false straight line; go past the punch line; explain; apologize; be innocuous; conform; be tentative; or be untimely.

His seven deadly sins of writing?

Timidity
Deference
Obscurity
Pomposity
Blandness
Bad Timing
Imitation

The book is 30 years old and dated as regards what he considers funny...more smile-worthy...but it's reminding me of how I'm guilty of doing some of the no-nos and not doing the yes-yeses. My books have been controversial, unpredictable and bold, no question...but salable? Only barely. So, I read to write in writing to be read.

Hopefully it will keep me from drifting off into stupidville...but you never know.

No comments: