Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

NY Does not do well in rain...

The view from my hotel window, this morning. A nice steady soft rain that sometimes got to be monsoon-like. Unlike LA, where when it rains people drive faster, driving in this city in the rain is like taking lessons in how to go so slow, you're headed backwards. And how construction on the freeways does not stop for a little precipitation. Cannot have the natives think they can get around easily in Queens; they might come to expect it.

So a drive to JFK that should have taken 20 minutes took an hour. Same for when I left to head for DC; a 15 minute drive took over an hour, especially crossing the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Again, going so slow you're all but retracing your tire tracks. Crazy.

But soon as I was in New Jersey, the rain stopped, and the drive to DC was so uneventful, I had to stop a few times to keep from falling asleep.

At least I got here and saw the job and got my hotel -- a Holiday Inn with minimal WiFi that's next door to an Ikea -- and got some more done on OT. I need to spend about a week on nothing but the story instead of this stop and go crap I've been doing, because it gives Jake too much time to reconsider things and suggest changes I don't want to make.

And point out places where I'm missing opportunities to advance the story neatly...dammit...as is Antony, now. He's snapping at me over the representation of his character in a couple of moments.

I still feel like I'm missing something in the story and can't figure out what it is. Like there's an aspect that would help clarify things and I can't see it...or I'm too focused to allow it in or something. Even having this space to let the story settle hasn't made it clear. I guess all I can do is keep plugging away and hope the revelation comes.

Again.

No comments: