Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

This time the charm?

I re-started my edit of The Vanishing of Owen Taylor from the beginning and slashed my way through 5 chapters. Some bits needed to be cut completely, some needed to be changed around, some just wanted a bit more clarification...and this time I rushed nothing. I want my current draft to be ready to read, for feedback.

I was also in discussion with Jake about who to make the final villain, and he's finally on the same page as me...or else, I am with him. I never know, anymore. But it's his story so I need to listen...and he led me to an interesting commentary...or tale.

There's a story about a caliph who asked Maimonides, a Jewish scholar, to explain the Talmud. We're talking about volumes and volumes of rules about religious morals and behaviors and conduct and philosophy as regards Judaism, and do it in the time he was able to stand on one foot. This was in the Middle Ages, in what is now Spain but was then controlled by the Moors. Maimonides responded,  "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. All the rest is commentary."

That's probably the best way to view writing possible -- keep the core of what you mean, remember the rest is commentary.

No comments: