Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Homeward stretch...

I'm finally at the point where it seems all downhill in the rewrite. I've got about 140 pages left to go, then I can put it aside and wait for the trip back to Buffalo to read through what I've done and see if the story still makes sense. I've trimmed a lot and removed a subplot that seemed like it was just a bit too much...but I'm always worried I may be cutting to much for clarity's sake.

I'm considering getting rid of another bit that's maybe too confusing, but I'm not there, yet, so I may keep it. Jake does seem a lot more proactive in this draft; helps that he's not stopping to lecture on gay rights or history or injustice. Now that it's been pointed out to me, his pontifications come across more like irritations that were tacked on by some writer from the 19th Century. Amazing I convinced myself they were deep. There are still some, just not as many or as condescending.

This is why I like getting serious feedback. I can easily fall in love with my words and think I'm the best thing on paper since Tolstoy. You'd never know one of my favorite writers is Jay McInerny, who's got a clean crisp, economical style...normally. I also like Hemingway's spareness. You'd think I'd emulate them instead of Dickens at his worst.

A short film my buddy, Brad Rushing, was cinematographer on is doing really well in competitions around the country. Pony just won Best Short at the Hollywood Film Festival -- its 16th award, if I'm counting right. That is so cool. Doesn't hurt that Brad's an artist when it comes to using light. He's done so many music videos that are classics -- like Moby's We Are All Made Of Stars and Brittany Spears' Toxic.

You want to see quality work? Check out his website.

No comments: