Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Slower going...

I got through another chapter of OT but it was slower going. Jake is pushing to be less reactive and more proactive earlier in the story. He doesn't guess things, he works them out...and he wants me to show the process. I just finished adjusting the moment between him and Lemm in the car to be more of him probing, trying to find out what's really going on with Lemm. It's meant more adjustments to the piece and I've cut out another page...and it's not been easy.

It has to flow from the story and character, not be imposed. I'm finding spots where I did that -- impose awareness just to keep the story going. It's become so damned obvious, it's embarrassing. But I'm happy it's still moving forward...and I'll be happier when it's done.

I got the final definite OK to use Jordan's photo on the cover. I just need to give him and the photographer credit and send them a copy. This layout is what I want, albeit neatened up and put in the exact right ratios. I haven't had the nerve to check out what it would cost to make in hardcover with a dust jacket...but I sort of want to. Guess we'll see just how much I've got to spend.

Of course, I still need to get the book done and all stitched up.

No comments: