Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Caught in my own little loop

I worked on the opening chapter of OT, again, tonight. Seems I can't go any further in story until I get this to where I'm happy with it...and that's proving to be difficult, at best. I'm happier...but still not there. I've added more emphasis to the lunch conversation between Jake and Mira in Paris. She's trying to warn him without being able to tell him what she's warning him about because it falls under doctor-patient privilege.

We're having fun at work thanks to our computer system being down. I took my laptop in and managed to still get a fair amount of work done, including a couple of quotes. It's looking pretty solid that I'll be in NYC the week of September 28th, and tomorrow I find out if I'm going to Calgary. That one doesn't look too likely, though.

I've been following the nonsense about Kim Davis refusing to grant marriage licenses to same-sex couples due to her religious beliefs, and the howling from both sides is ludicrous...though not as much on the left as the right. People on the left are making fun of her looks; she seems to be patterned after Kathy Bates in Misery. Which doesn't help one damn bit. The best argument that comes from our side is, she's refusing to do her job. If she can't do it in good conscience, she should quit, because she took an oath to do it when she was elected to county clerk. We're also pointing out that she's something of a bully and using the bible to excuse her bullying.

The arguments on the right are that she's being jailed for being a Christian and it's one step closer to gas ovens for the followers of Jesus, and on and on. They're an embarrassment to everyone but themselves. What makes it beyond ludicrous is the number of GOP candidates who have taken her side, suggesting it's perfectly okay to ignore laws you don't like and flat out lying about what the law means. Mike Huckabee even went so far as to say the Dred Scott decision of 1857, where the Supreme Court said that Africans could not be citizens, was still in effect. As if we hadn't fought a civil war over slavery and the 14th Amendment meant nothing.

The GOP is going out of its way to prove itself to be the party of the stupid.

No comments: