Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, September 4, 2015

Wimp be I...

I gave in and took some Claritin for my sinuses after getting a whole 3 hours sleep, last night. It says non-drowsy but I still wound up having to take a nap...which could be due to the lack of sleep. But it's been hard to concentrate, too, so today was a bust in the writing department. At least I got my checkbook balanced.

I may be going the wrong way with OT, as well. I'm sensing some resistance to my re-structuring of it. Not sure why, yet, except in my head I had a nice symmetry between the opening line and closing one...and I'd really like to keep it. So I need to work out the whole rhythm of the piece in my head, again. See if I can keep it going.

I am a bit old-fashioned when it comes to structuring a script. I like to get to know the characters and think that makes for a stronger ending, one where the audience is more vested in their fate. It's What Hitchcock used to do a lot in his thrillers, and it just doesn't work for today's ADD audience. Same for books...though not to as great an extent.

I just remembered a night in Austin, Texas, where a group of friends and I went to see the restored version of Rear Window, and one woman said it took forever to get going. I pointed out she'd screamed when a man is seen walking up the stairs, but her response was, "So? prior to that it was pretty boring."

We can't have that, can we?

No comments: