Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

In the Big Apple...

Had a nice trip down on the train and got a fair amount done on OT, but the last two chapters are proving to be difficult. I started to change them then decided I liked them more the way they were so now have to go back and start all over on them. The way the story's currently structured, it's more of a shock when the big reveal happens if I leave it as is. I think. I got some good reactions out of it.

Still, I have trimmed down another 8 pages. Not as much as I thought I'd get rid of, but getting there. And I got rid of another secondary character who really just confused the issue, so this streamlined the explanation and clarified it a bit. And I'm cutting one character out of the next to the last chapter; she just wasn't fitting in naturally.

Tomorrow I'll be working long and hard; I'm afraid this job will turn out to be a brutal one -- packing 7000 books in the space of 3 days. I'll have help, but it's still daunting. I'm sure I'll be beat by the time I get back to the hotel...but you never know. I might get a little done on it.

I want to try and do a straight read-through on the trip back to Buffalo, Thursday...if I can manage to get done by then. Pickup for the shipment is slated for that morning and my train's not till 3:40. So I've got three evenings to do these two chapters. About 40 pages. Then I'll have Friday evening and Saturday to make any corrections, because Sunday I'm off to another round of pickups and packing jobs. I'd like to get it out for another beta read by then.

I can be so optimistic.

No comments: