Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Hello to nothing changes...ever...

 Well, the election's over and it looks like 2 more years of the same shit. A senate that's 50/50 with two potential whores angling to shift from Democrat to Republican if offered the right price. A House that's still in play but looking more and more like it will be a GOP led one. Meaning the second they're in power they will impeach Biden for some bullshit. It's not a serious threat; just junior high school nonsense of, I'll show you! in response to 45 being impeached twice.

I spent all my time on Twitter and Tribel doing what I could to get the vote going blue, but it did no good. People went from it's a blue tidal wave to at least it's not a red wave in no time. And a huge swath of the electorate just plain did not bother to get counted. So far as I'm concerned, that means they voted Republican, by proxy. No excuses. But at least it wasn't, officially, a red wave.

So it is what it is...and I'm back on APoS. I meant to just go in and add a description of Derry to the first or second chapter, but it turned into another draft...so I'm numbering this one 5. It's just under 130,000 words and will expand.

I'm going to start sending out query letters, tomorrow. As follows:

----------

My three volume novel, A Place of Safety, is the story of Brendan Kinsella, a lad who just wants to live his life. But he was born and raised in Derry, Northern Ireland, and history interferes with his plans.

The first volume runs between 1966 and 1972, beginning with the murder of his father when Brendan is ten years of age. It sweeps through: 

• the 1968 Civil Rights demonstrations in Derry 

• the attack on peaceful marchers at Burntollet Bridge in early 1969 

• the lead-up to The Battle of Bogside in August of that year 

• the re-introduction of internment 

• Bloody Sunday 

• and witnessing a horrific bombing 

Woven through it is a relationship with a Protestant girl that is kept secret for fear of reprisals. From both sides. This section is in fifth draft and currently undergoing revisions to clarify characters, events and various details. 

Volume 2 is set between 1973 and 1981 in Houston, Texas. Brendan is sent there in a catatonic state, to live with his aunt and try to rebuild his life. Volume 3 calls him home during the hunger strikes of 1981 and ends with him accepting his destiny. Both are in second draft. As of now, all three volumes total more nearly 1500 pages and 330,000 words. 

 I should add, this is not based on my own life; it is completely fabricated. 

I have been working on this novel for several years, and have self-published 14 other books in both print and ebook. However, I would like to situate A Place of Safety with a mainstream publisher to avoid the many obstacles that are part of self-publishing. I am hoping your agency can assist me with this. 

I am open to sending you the first three chapters of volume one, or the first chapter of each volume. I could also send you a copy of The Alice '65, my romantic comedy, or The Vanishing of Owen Taylor, my gay murder mystery, to show my abilities in writing a complete novel. Just let me know.

Thank you for considering A Place of Safety. I believe it would be a great match with your agency's interests.

I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: