Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Off to NYC

Not going to get anything done till Wednesday, at the earliest, thanks to this quickie trip. I'm flying down, tomorrow and coming back Tuesday night, I hope. It's to pack about 350 books into 25-28 cartons, which should go fairly easily. Start at 9 on Monday...except packing materials aren't coming till 10 so that's irritating. But I can work till 6, and get it done the next day. Flight home isn't till almost 9pm.

Upper East side so God knows what I'll find to eat that isn't $50 to walk in the door. Old hotel with small rooms. Should prove interesting. Also going to be in the 40s.

Wednesday, I think I'll talk with the powers that be at Caladex and let them know they need to find someone for me to train to do this job. It's not really hard to plan out, but it is tiring when I'm doing it. Right now, we're giving a vague estimate for packing some mystery books for an exhibition, but not until this time next year. I'll be 71 then. I don't want to work till I'm dead.

Good thing is, Democrats may have beaten back the GOP in the House and Senate; won't know for a few more days. If so, no end to Social Security or Medicare, just yet, so that's good. I'm the sole support of my brother in San Antonio, but he'll be 62 soon and can get early Social Security...which will bring him more than I'm able to provide. If he'll actually set it up. He had mental and emotional issues that cause problems so I may have to go down and help him do it.

I can't say much about that; I have a couple of the same issues. Saying I'll do something then suddenly hours are gone by and I haven't even started trying. My excuse is I'm a writer and procrastination is one of our tools...but it is just that -- an excuse. With him? He was born with issues that limit his ability to cope. On top of it, his self-confidence was cut down so badly by his father, it amazes me he's still able to function at all.

I'm using a hint of that in APoS...but I'm not sure I'm doing that just right, yet. I may need to go through this thing line by line to make sure they do what is needed...after I figure out what the hell that is. I have a feeling I'm missing something in the setup of the story.

No comments: