Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, June 11, 2023

Climbing back on the horse...


I went through one of my usual downer moods and did absolutely no writing or rewriting yesterday or the day before. Instead, I worked online trying to help on the disaster of the Nova Kakhovka dam's destruction on the Dnipro River in Ukraine. It's still unfolding and there's word Russia destroyed another dam in Ukraine. There's not much I can do from Buffalo, and because of my age, but direct people to places where they can donate money and things to go to the country. If anyone wants to do so, here's a link to Timothy Snyder's Twitter page and 10 places that are working for Ukraine.

On a positive note, Ukraine's counter-assault is underway and it is going to be bloody. Hideous. But all you can to is hope Putin is deposed ASAP and Russia withdraws back to the 1991 borders she agreed to. I doubt that will happen and it apppears this war will go on for years until Russia backs down, like she did in Afghanistan.

It's funny and a bit shallow of me, but I'm angry with Moscow for invading Ukraine partly because I loved Russian literature. Anna Karenina, War & Peace, The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment...I was entranced by the whole idea of man trapped in his fate. I even used Chekov's short story, Champagne, for a short script that actually impressed my screenwriting teachers at UT. Now? I've learned so much about Russia's hideous past...not just under communism but also the Tsars...that I cannot see her culture as anything but horrifying.

I did manage to get back to work, this morning, and restructure the first three chapters, a bit. Not a huge amount. Just made it a case of having things happen instead of Brendan only telling us what happened. Like how he met his friends -- Colm, Danny, Paidrig, wee Eammon, Billy and Gerry. Made it more natural and easy-going...and added a good 5 pages to the chapter. But it's more immediate, now.

At least #45 was indicted and Pat Robertson died, this week. Two evil men who deserve hell. I wish I believed in it so I'd know Robertson was down there and The Orange One will join him, some day.

No comments: