Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Continuation...

 Yesterday's post continued and added to:

-------

We were climbing back up the hillside to my house when Danny said, "You're in a better temper, now." 

I shrugged. "Wasn't I, before?" 

"Naw. Quiet. Even for you. Like your mind's a hundred miles off." 

I stopped halfway up the hill and looked at my house. No light was on. I turned around. "I want another smoke, but I haven't any. Let's go back to -- " 

"Here." 

He let me have one of his and I fired it up and stood there, looking out over the Bogside. Over the fading light. Finally, the darkness, the growing darkness. With nightfall, I knew I'd be fine, again. Happy, again. Something icy was caught in my chest. Something empty. I needed space and silence and nothingness to let it drift away. So I said nothing.

Danny kept quiet. For a moment I got the feeling he was going through something similar. Maybe as bad as myself, maybe not, but him not saying a word was the best thing he could have done for me. By the end of the smoke, the light was far enough gone to let me be completely at ease. 

I asked, "Have you seen Colm, today?" 

"Naw, he's off with those new lads. Him and Paidrig. No idea where they are. Who they are. Why?" 

I shrugged and smiled at him. "You'll always be me China, won't ya?" 

He smiled back, but with a bit of wariness. "'Course, Bren. And you, mine." He looked back over the Bogside, swaying a little. "It's nice, here. The city's quiet and you can tuck your thoughts away to worry over, later." I nodded. I could hear a smile in his voice. "You understand what I mean. I don't think Colm ever could. He's too caught in his...what'd he call it once? Forward movement?" 

I chuckled. "Sounds American." 

He smiled. "That's our Colm, always with the latest. When's Eamonn back?" 

I had no idea so just shrugged, then asked, "You thirsty?" He shrugged a sort of yes. I grinned. "Y'know, I got a pound on me, still. What you say we find out if some old sport'll pop in the off-license and get us a little something? To drink." 

"I don't think a pound's enough for the both of us," said Danny. Then he cast me a wicked side glance. "Let's to my house." 

I shrugged and we went. 

His was a nice maisonette in fair shape down the hill from mine. Mold on the whitewashed walls and chipped sills and stoops, without, but in through the green door you'd find a well-kept parlor with a small prayer corner next to the hearth, cushioned chairs and two lamps around a low table. Pictures adorned the walls and throw carpets covered the floor. A telly was in the corner nearest the window, its rabbit ears extended with tinfoil. 

We said hello to his mother, who was focused on some cooking show on the telly so barely noticed us. 

"Valium," said Danny. 

"Wow," I said. "Y'know, I can copy me Ma's signature. You think we could get some for wee Eammon's?" 

"I think ya gotta see the doctor first." 

Then we were up to his small room...where he had a plush bed to himself, table and lamp beside it, a wardrobe and a narrow desk with a wooden chair. Posters of The Rolling Stones and Lulu and the like were pinned to his walls, and atop the wardrobe was a row of books...that hid three Tennant Nips bottles. He handed me one.

"How'd you get these?" I asked. 

"Da's. Didn't notice I lifted them. He forgets how much he's had to drink, at times." 

So we sat down and started up the radio and finished off his pack of Blues and each had a bottle as we just listened to song after song after song. Not saying a word. I didn't get home till well after everyone was to bed. 

The next morning, it being Sunday, I slept through Mass. But then Mai worked a full fry-up, the smells of which brought me bolting downstairs fast, I was so perished from the hunger. But the moment Ma saw me, she tossed what was to be my plate on the floor, breaking it. That it was one that was already chipped and cracked, I noticed. Of course, that set Kieran to wailing. 

Mai’s sigh of, “Ma, it’s a sin to waste food,” didn't begin to make her sorry for it, while Rhuari just looked at her as Maeve asked, “But how’s he to eat it, Ma?” 

“Hush and finish your breakfast,” she snapped. Then she shook Kieran and said, “Be still or I’ll give you cause to cry.” Of course, he couldn’t be, so she pulled him up from the chair and swatted his rear. He shut up, startled.

Silence smothered the room. It was the first time she'd struck him in any way. She almost looked flustered.

Without thinking, I added to it when I glared at her and muttered, "Beating a baby." 

Now they all looked at me, in shock. Which made me grin. Then just to be a maggot, I sat cross-leg on the floor and ate very bit of that fry-up I could manage with my fingers. Like a dog eating its vomit, but with more care to avoid the broken plate.

There was not a word from any of them, though a wary glint came Ma's eyes. I had to fight a laugh. If she thought me simple, before, now she was sure to think me mad. And I loved it. Might give her pause, the next time she thinks to lay hands on me.

No comments: