Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, September 30, 2024

Could it be...?

I'm just too fucking old? I've been on this planet so long, I can no longer ignore the massive amount of stupidity and hatefulness social media has revealed to me, and it's fucking me up? Is that why writers finally give up on writing? They've realized the reality of the world is far too insane, and trying to make sense of it is a task for raving fools?

Reading the ludicrous comments from people intent on turning the catastrophe of Hurricane Helene into a political criticism of Democrats and liberals is a lesson in how up becomes down and wrong becomes right. Where's FEMA? It's on-site, with food and water. Democrats sending $$ to Ukraine is why we have this flooding. Completely nonsensical. Biden and Harris are the reason for this catastrophe. Um, since when can any human being control the weather?

My blood pressure was up to near red zone, when I checked it. And I got to thinking; when I checked it while in the UK, it was down to just a bit elevated. Mainly because I didn't go online and deal with the claptrap being spit out by MAGAts, self-serving politicians and Russian bots. Maybe half the reason I'm so morose, right now, is because I'm caught up in that sewerage.

When I was in Derry, once, I used the library to read some letters to the editor of the Belfast Telegraph, from the 60s and early 70s...and they curled my hair with their hate for Catholics. Seriously blamed them for all the troubles in the world. And meant it. I thought that was just a localized thing in the middle of sectarian violence...but the same shit is happening here. The same level of hatred and blame and anger and self-proclamations of victimhood without the two sides killing each other, like there.

One example that stuck with me was a flier that was passed around after a Protestant pub had been bombed by PIRA and 12 people killed. It showed a charred body and screamed about the murder of this person...even though a Protestant paramilitary group had done the exact same thing to a Catholic pub not that long before. It was an obvious case of, How dare you do to me what I did to you!

Now I'm not the brightest guy in the room. It takes me forever to understand things. Hell, I still don't get Algebra, and I honestly think it's only the French I took in 3rd grade that I can reference now, not my two years of it in college. I halfway wonder I was ADHD or slightly dyslexic, though those were not diagnoses we had, back when I was growing up. I was just considered weird. And I knew other kids who were weird, too.

I didn't make friends except by chance. And the one time I tried to force myself to be more social, it was a catastrophe. I still love being alone and hate having to deal with crowds or parties. I can do it, but not happily. I wonder if my brain is just finally letting me catch up to what the world is all about and that's got me all messed up?

There have always been stupid, hateful people in this country, but that convicted felon has shown us how many of them there are...not just in this country but around the world...and I just can't handle it. 

No comments: