Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, September 7, 2024

Shifting and bobbing...

Cutting and rearranging is part and parcel with this section. There were things I'd written into the third draft of Home Not Home that no longer fit the narrative. Nonsense like an elderly couple in Toome who claimed to be Da's parents. That didn't even begin to feel right, even when I first wrote it. And Brendan asking if his mother complained about him sneaking away when it's pretty much been established most people thought he was killed in that bombing.

It's amazing how silly and simplistic my writing can become when I'm just trying to push through to the end.

One good aspect was reaching a point where Maeve had bought a small washer and drier to use, since her mother is in serious need of having her things washed almost daily. I'd forgotten about it, being in chapter 14. It needed to be earlier so I moved it up to chapter 7.

I'm also adding in a moment when Brendan plays the tape of his father telling that story, when his brothers and sister are all in place, and Rhuari remembering how disjointed it had been when the man first told it to them. Because he was drunk. Now it makes sense, is his comment.

One good thing about this trip to the UK is, I bought a slight upgrade from economy so I'll have a bit more space and can work on the book in comfort as we fly. I will also probably have access to an AC outlet. Same for coming back. And I'm closing in on the section where things explode out of Brendan's control, leading him to be arrested and interrogated by the RUC and British. Once I'm there, everything will pretty much be staying as is.

Writing this volume has been exhausting. What helps me keep going, aside from the fact that Brendan won't let me quit, is re-reading the lovely review I got from BookLife, for New World For Old. It's now on page 72 of the September 2nd copy of Publishers Weekly. I got my copy in the mail, today.

No comments: