Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, September 23, 2024

Gone through 20% of the book...

...And I've changed the ending. I had this beautiful moment when Brendan, after all he's been through, lets out a primal scream while lying in a dirt ditch. Basically replaying the death of his father 15 years earlier in a similar ditch.

Oh, I was so, so, so, so, so, so proud of myself for it. True meaning. Depth of despair and pain and suffering. OMG, how could you not feel this moment?

Only it was totally wrong. It was like a scene from a movie or stage play, not a novel. So it's gone. And the ending is redone, in brief. On top of that, the person I thought was going to die at the end isn't, anymore. Shock of shocks.

It'll need a serious rewrite to make it smooth, but now that I know what I'm aiming for in the story...the whole of Brendan's story...I'm removing as much artifice as I can. Which ain't easy, considering my predilection.

So...I'm up to page 97 of this rewrite, which I have officially labeled 5. Clarity is my main goal and I think it's getting there, but you never know till someone else tells you.

Nothing else to say, really, not anything I haven't said before, ad nauseam. I think I'd slip into some brevity, now. Be not shocked.

No comments: