A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Sunday, October 4, 2026

I have to do a reset...

The timing of MQM is off and the characters are giving me only hints about themselves, right now. What time of year do I want this to happen? Should I start the story with Simon's body being found as the first chapter and have the rest of it lead up to his death? How many memories do I want to punch in? How many more characters? I'm already up over 2 dozen.

Right now, it's like scrambled eggs in my head, which is a food I don't like by itself. Eggs can be so damned bland, even with salt and pepper, though adding salsa or tabasco helps.

So I add onion, Velveeta sliced cheese, green pepper, olives, and bacon bits. Starting with three eggs well-whipped. Make hash browns. Toast. Tea. And that I like for any meal, which also leaves enough for a sandwich, later. 

But that's the way it is for me. I want the ingredients set for whatever dish I'm making. Then I can do anything with it. My trying to go all the way through the book to get a first draft done is probably what's screwing me up. I bounce around, I don't glide.

Which means I'm going to work up an XLS of the actions and characters, tomorrow. Do it by month, like I did for APoS and started for Dair's Window. Get that settled, at least. But it'll take a couple days.

I have an appointment with the dermatologist at 2 so can get started, at least.

No comments: