Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

BBT

Finished season 4 of "The Big Bang Theory" so now just need to catch up with season 5. Too bad they don't do a season of reruns, anymore; they're sprinkled all through the year so it's had to find the ones you've missed...tho' since I deliberately haven't seen any of the new ones, I could hop in anywhere, I guess. But I'd like to watch it from the beginning. I'll have to check and see if I can do that on ABC or the production company.

It's weird, but I like Sheldon the most on the show. And I get huffy when the others pick on him. He really is defenseless, and some of their jabs are cruel. I sort of knew a kid in college who was brilliant when it came to math and science, sort of like what we now call an idiot savant. But he could not handle human interaction and was very awkward, in general. He took a photography class with me, and this is where I learned that I can be far too impatient when it comes to shooting photos. I want to point and shoot, and by doing that, I turned out decent photos. But I soon saw that if I'd just taken my time and let the scene set itself, they'd have been ten times better.

The big lesson was when I saw this great pathway through a wooded area of Brackenridge Park, in San Antonio, not far from the headwaters of the San Antonio River. The lighting was nice. It had a great 3-d feel to it, with the ever-encroaching foliage mingling with the sun to form a sort of tunnel-effect. Lovey. I shot the last of my film roll of it, in varying speeds. Then...as I was putting my camera away, I glanced up the path...and saw a rider on horseback crossing a hundred feet down it. That would have made the perfect picture. And I had no more film, and the light was beginning to fade. I've tried to be more aware when I take photos, ever since. Doesn't alway work, but...

Anyway, this guy, for all his brilliance, could not figure out how to even load the camera without scratching his film. His focus was hit and miss. His exposures were horrifying. And he knew it. But he had to take the class to satisfy a curriculum requirement. I invited him to go out with me on a shoot, once Saturday, but he looked at me like I was crazy and walked away. The professor tried to help him but he couldn't accept it. So he wound up with a "C", and that was out of kindness.

Anyway, Sheldon reminds me of him, as well as myself. What's nice is how his interactions with Amy Farah-Fowler have helped make him more human...and her. He reminds me a bit of me at a much younger age -- good at one thing - art - and that made me feel enough like I was worthwhile, so that I could keep going through the crap of junior high and high school. People could attack me for anything and I wouldn't care; it was only when my work was viciously dismissed by an art teacher in 8th grade that I was wounded. I didn't even take art the following two years, not till I was a junior in high school and surrounded by strangers.

Well...weird the things that come to mind. So should I now break into a rendition of Barbara Streisand's "Memories"?

Hell with it. I ordered new RAM for my laptop. Pumping it up to 4 gigs from 1. Then I can upgrade to Lion and keep my .mac address on that, at least. Upgrading to Microsoft Office for Mac will cost $300 and I didn't even price PhotoShop. Same goes for Final Draft; I'll need to upgrade that just to be able to see my scripts. If this isn't extortion, I don't know what is.

No comments: