Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Quirky

That's the Days Inn I'm staying in. I can have all the Fruit Loops I want (but have to go out and buy my own milk), the elevator loves to chat as it's taking you up (sounding like a tummy in need of feeding or else some Pepto), and the card that held my key and has my room number on it also has a diagram showing where your room is (and 12 ads, including one for a cigar shop). That's on top of reruns of BBT playing on the TV in the lobby. I feel so...I dunno...off-beat here.

I'd intended to be home by now instead of staying the night in Clark Summit, PA, but a last minute rerouting occurred. I had to run back to NYC to get a $1.2m book from BA Cargo and take it to a courier service so it can be shipped into the middle of nowhere for a client...not far from where they're having lines of tornadoes. I hope this guy's library is surrounded by solid steel. Anyway, I didn't get it done till after 4pm and it's an 8 hour drive so...

Of course, the route I was planning to take home from New Haven was also snowed on, last night, so maybe this way is better.

Jake is maneuvering the story around in ways I find interesting, and he's open to talking about how he feels about Antony, and why. He's read Antony's version of their relationship and thinks the guy's missing something important. What...I don't know yet. He's hinted at it, but nothing concrete has come up, as of now. I worked on VOT while waiting for BA to get the crate I was picking up and give it to me (only a manager could do that, due to the high value, and the one who'd been given the paperwork forgot about me so I had to remind them I was still waiting...even though I'd been standing in full view of the reception desk and using their counter to write on...causing some consternation because they'd forgotten which manager had the paperwork).

Of course, the story keeps expanding beyond just being a mystery; an elderly lesbian who was once a Rosie the Riveter has made an appearance, and the location has been set near Palm Springs, not in it, but still uses the disgraceful conduct of the Palm Springs Chief of Police to illuminate the homophobia of the area. Plus Jake has his musical motif -- The Black Keys' "Lonely Boy"...mainly because of the guitar intro. Now it's all I can do to keep from plopping him into a 1965 Mustang convertible and having him drive across the desert in that...which would be the epitome of Hollywood cool if not true cool.

Jake's just shaking his head and muttering, "I got no problem with AC when it's 110 in the shade."

No comments: