Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Technological blackmail

I've just been informed by Apple that if I do not upgrade the OS on my computers to Lion, I will lose my @mac e-mail account. It will, in effect, vanish. To do that, I'll have to buy a new desktop computer and add a gig of memory to my laptop. I will also need to buy new versions of PhotoShop and Microsoft Office...or whatever the things are called, now. Perfect.

I knew I'd have to do this some day, but I was putting it off as long as I could in hopes of building up enough reserves to not have to go into debt for it...and would have the time to learn a whole new system. But Apple has taken it upon itself to give me an ultimatum. And I don't do well with those. I get stupid and angry and stubborn and the first word out of my mouth is usually, "No." Even with a gun effectively pressed against my head, I'm still of a mind to tell Apple to take a flying leap and shift my e-mailing over to another account.

Except it would probably happen there, too, in some way, form or fashion. We are now slaves to technology, and our pockets are being picked by everyone on all sides. Scum like Goldman Sachs (who manages investment accounts) screw their clients over for decades and nobody does anything. You want your mobile phone to accept calls? You have to upgrade to a new one...every 3 years. Then there was the whole mess with TVs, with us having to buy a digital set in order to receive signals; do it or you don't get all the channels, since those digi-boxes don't really do the full job on an analog TV. And it's always been that way for computers, to an extent; but lately it's become more-so.

Makes me want to go Luddite.

Deadline is the end of June. Clock is ticking. I am stewing. Grrr.

2 comments:

Writer said...

Computers in general make me want to go Ludditte. :(

JamTheCat said...

Is there any way to go back to pen and paper?