Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Meet Michel Grasley...

He'll be the author of books like Bugzters, since I have another book I was thinking of writing geared at a younger audience -- Kid-Co. That one's about twin boys who've just started 7th grade and have to deal not only with a bully who takes their lunch money but an older sister who tries to swipe it, first; she makes them lunches to take instead of giving them the money mom left. I wrote it as a short script...that wound up being 30 pages long. It'd be funny. Well, as funny as I'm capable of.

Then there's The Lavender Curse, which is a goofy story about a cop about to make a big bust getting his mind switched with his less-than-beloved mother-in-laws just as she's about to compete in a senior lady beauty pageant. Freaky Friday for the geriatric set?

I got over my concerns about pseudonyms by posting the question on NaNoWriMo's Forum and got some very positive responses -- all saying yes to pen names and pointing out why. I think the one that convinced me pointed out it's a form of branding as well as a firewall for parents. So in, did I give.

I'm not sure what I'll do about stories like Place of Safety or The Golden Sea. The gears have started working on them...and I caught on to where GS wants to go. I thought it was going to be a story about redemption and forgiveness...and it's the exact opposite. The female lead is black and was widowed by a white cop. She's Christian and finally seeks the cop out to say she forgives him, but when she sees him, she can't. Because she looks into his eyes and sees nothing there. He'll do it, again.

What's funny is, it won't be a bleak book. The two leads will get their lives back in order once they let go of the past and face their respective demons. But it won't be sugar-coated.

Life isn't.

No comments: