Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Countdown...

Just under an hour to when I can start writing in Bugzters...and I have no idea how to start the story. I may jump into some other parts and work on those till I can figure this out. I guess it all depends on what age group I'm aiming for. Or not. I'd like to begin with a grabber...but I just don't have one, yet.

Seriously, do I start with Alex lost in space and describe how he's playing a video game with his beat-worst friend, Billy LeGrande? Should I explain why he doesn't want to move, first? I've got four other possible openings and I don't really like any of them.

Of course, that's the most important part of a book. I can't tell you how many novels I pushed through and wound up liking because the opening was great. There are others where, even though the first pages were tedious and I was reading the book because it was a classic, I wound up liking them. But only because I refused to give up.

I'm at that stage of my "career" where I wonder if I've used up all that I have in the way of storytelling ability. There are a lot of people who think you only have one novel in you, yet I've written 33 scripts, 6 books and so many short stories and plays...so I don't know.

Never did, really.

No comments: