Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Slashin' and a burnin'...

Wow...I've cut 11 pages out of KAZN and I'm only to page 46. But the clarity is better. I think. I hope. I guess I'll find out. I have until Monday to submit it, so that should give me sufficient time. Looks like this may be a hundred page script, not the 124 it was.

For a little while, I was afraid I'd have to travel down to NYC this weekend to pick up some artwork. Our usual guy down there was giving us fits about doing it under a certain timeframe, and a friend of mine who could do it is out of town, so I'd have been gone for 4 days. But it would've cost so damn much more, we're still pushing him to do it.

Normally I like to drive down the road to NYC, and this would be the perfect time of year to do it. But it'd mean probably pushing VENGEANCE too hard...and want this script to be as solid as possible. I've cut out a couple of high-ticket moments so I can focus on the important one -- a fight on a boat in the harbor in the dark. If I work this moment right, the audience will think the hero is really going to die...because I've been hinting throughout the script that's what he wants.

One problem is, I'm not sure how restrictive Morocco is about men and women partying together or meeting at coffee shops, and don't have time to do any real in-depth research. I just know much of Northern Africa and the MidEast have become more hard-assed about such things...so my characters may be too liberal for them. To some Muslims, a woman caught just talking to a man who is not her husband is cause for a hundred lashes -- on her. Not him; like most religions, it's all "boys will be boys and women are whores."

I think the world would be a lot better if it was the other way around.

No comments: