Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Driving in New York City...

If you can help it, do NOT drive in this city. OMG, today was so insane, I was glad I wasn't carrying a gun because I'd have killed some people. This is from a guy who's used to LA's nastiness and bumper-to-bumper freeways and still can pull out his own attitude when driving, if it will help him get someplace faster. But New Yorkers are fucking devils behind the wheel.

I'm talking about forcing their way into your lane ahead of you even though no one is behind you. They can't follow, they have to be in front. So they can stop. Put on their flashers. And make a delivery. While holding you up.

And there there's the chaos at La Guardia. I've never dealt with that airport before and never want to, again. I arrived in Terminal B...but to get a shuttle to the rental car facility, you have to be bussed to Terminal A. Right past your rent a car agency. And they won't let you off. And what's even better? Terminal A is so backwards an airport building, even Bangladesh would be embarrassed. Now I know why people refer to that airport as being Third World...though I do think that's being insulting to Third World nations who have actual functioning airports.

It took me a solid hour and a half to get off the plane, get my checked bag, get my rental car and start away from the airport. And I got honked at a dozen times for not breaking the law when there was a cop right there -- as in Run that red light; maybe he won't stop you and give you a ticket. Of course, reality is he might not have, because two of them ignored drivers turning left from a right turn only lane.

But I got the job done and grabbed a bite to eat, since I hadn't had lunch, then headed to Hartford, where I'm spending the night before job 3 in Boston. It was also nightmarish, but that was typical rush hour traffic and I only wound up screaming obscenities four times. At least I was able to avoid the worst of the 95 and zing up to connect with the 84. Out there, you just have to deal with the idiots who think the left lane is for cruising at the speed limit and will not get out of your way to let you pass. That kind, you find everywhere.

But I'm here. Trying to correct some mistakes I made on the first two jobs -- like forgetting to leave address labels for the one in Houston and not putting documents in with the one today. I've had myself a nice cup of tea and indulged in a Boston Cream donut. I almost feel human, again.

Just almost.

No comments: