Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Working on it...

First British notes back on The Alice '65 and a lot to go through. Nothing major, it seems, just details mixed in with the bits and pieces of the story. I'll have to read through it to find them all, however, because he input them into a Word copy, in red. Like hide and seek.

One embarrassing bit is someone pointing out my misspelling of dummkopf. If I'm going to use words from a foreign language, I should verify they're correctly spelled. That's another step in the process, now.

Something that's interesting is when a correction is suggested because the reader misunderstood what I was getting at. That means I need to find a better way to lay it out so it's not confusing. Clarity is the essence of condescending obnoxiousness...but sometimes it's what is needed in an off-beat story like A65.

I had another reader so identify with Adam, she never was able to see the humor of what was happening. Maybe I should stop calling this a romantic comedy and just a romance...of a sort. It doesn't really fall under those parameters. Romantic farce, maybe? Dramatic farce? Hell, I don't know; I just hope it's readable and sells well.

Tomorrow I'm off to San Francisco for a couple days and then Miami and New York City. A whirlwind 8 days of book fair move ins and map fair move outs and collections of archives and all that jazz. So I'll read the notes on the plane. I'm too backed up from work to do anything more. I was there till after 7 getting things settled before I go.

Now my brain is drained and ready for bed...

No comments: