Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Lovely day...

Worked non-stop getting ready for next week's book fairs, then on the way home my car started rumbling, loud. Muffler trouble. So I took it to the dealership I use and they said I needed to replace a pipe that had been rusted through, in spots. Apparently it's an original pipe...they let me go under the car to see it. But it's costing $850 bucks...and I've already learned the hard way that to go to a muffler shop means I may spend less now but will have trouble, again, next year.

They didn't have the parts, yet, so I set up a time to bring the car back...then as I was driving home the fucking muffler fell apart and was dragging on the pavement. I made it into a Ted's Hot Dogs and called AAA and had the car towed back to the dealership, then had dinner and walked home. It was only a few miles and not all that cold...and I saved myself about $15 over calling a cab or Uber. Tomorrow, I'm on the bus to work, and same for home. And I'm not loving this, at all.

It seems as soon as I start to gain some traction in handling my debt, something happens to kick me right back to where I started.  Rent goes up. Insurance goes up. Phone and internet go up. Cost of food goes up. Salary stays the same. It's infuriating.

What added to my irritation was, my phone was close to going dead and I had no way to plug it in, anywhere. I had my laptop with me, but it won't let me attach the phone without a special cable, and I'd left that at home. Nor would my battery extender work with the phone. The one time I figure I don't need anything extra in my backpack is the one time I needed everything.

The only good thing was, I got some work done on A65, while waiting. I polished up the synopsis and changed some of the interaction between Adam and Elizabeth at the end...and now I'm wondering if the ending works as it currently stands. If it isn't just a bit too pat. Too simple. Something in me is saying I should end it at another point and I'm unable to find an honest reason not to.

Guess I'll ask for some feedback about that...

No comments: