Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Ideas keep coming for A65...

I know the book will never be completed in my head, but while The Alice '65 is still working it, I'm open to any additions till I finalize the pages and send them off to Ingram Spark. Tonight I realized I was missing an interesting back and forth between Adam and Elizabeth near the end, that shades her character more and give him a finer dusting of adult humanity.

She calls him a Hobbit, thanks to Jeremy repeating a comment she made some time ago. Only Adam's brother, Connor, calls him that. I had no idea Elizabeth was trying to let me know something about her and her ways. Adam needs to let her know he knows...and warn her against Connor. Just to show he's over her. One of those things that you never see until you do, and then you wonder why you never did.

I now see Daniel Radcliffe as Adam. Right age. Right intellectual scruffiness. But good-looking enough to believe as both a nerd and a romantic lead.

I'm so intensely shallow about such things. I'm always using actors as my visuals, and those do change, especially once the character starts talking to me. Then he settles his own appearance for me.

I liked using Russell Tovey when I first started writing the story; he has an off-beat attractiveness and the camera loves him. I also liked Matthew Lewis as an alternative, but once Adam took command, neither of them would work, in my head.

I do still see Eliza Dushku as Casey, even though she's now too old for the part; Casey's around 30 while Eliza's closing in on forty. When she was in Dollhouse, she was exactly right. As for Lando, it was Chris Hemsworth just because it's so obvious.

Like I said, I'm shallow...

No comments: