Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Getting it right...

Interesting...but when I finally got my cover down, the book began to seem like it's going to get done. I'm still waiting for feedback on the archival and British aspects of the story -- I've gently asked if that would be coming anytime soon and only been told by one she's having fun working on it -- but the jacket and synopsis are set.

It's amazing how the slightest shift in position can make or break the artwork for a cover. I think I shifted Adam's position a half-dozen times before it was right. Same for the title. I lowered my name a bit, along with Gertrude, the book and Casey, and that extra bit of space seems to make it real, for me.

I've also contacted the Library of Congress about getting an LoC designation for the copyright page. That's needed for libraries to know who to categorize the book, but I have to ask permission to ask for it, first. So I did. Supposedly, I'll get the answer in a few days.

There's also the synopsis, which will be on the front flyleaf of the cover. I've redone it and polished it and adjusted it so much, I may have edged all the life out of it. If anyone wants to comment, I'm open to suggestions --

One of the rarest books in existence is the 1865 printing of Lewis Carroll’s Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Sir John Tenniel, the illustrator, so disliked how they turned out they were recalled to be replaced by a new printing. All but around 50 were returned and destroyed, and of those...fewer than half survive.

Adam Verlain knows all about this; he’s a library archivist for a university in London, and books are his life. But when that library acquires a newly discovered copy of The Alice ‘65, he declines the opportunity to travel to Los Angeles to pick it up. He has sworn never to leave his careful, cloistered world because his father was robbed and killed on a similar trip. He only agrees to go when he is told the book will be brought to him at the airport, meaning he will be surrounded by security.

However, from the moment he boards the plane, things start to go wrong. Then he meets the amazingly beautiful, amazingly persuasive Casey Blanchard, a movie star who inherited The Alice '65, and the worst happens -- she will not let him have the book unless he accompanies her to a premier of her latest film for reasons that...well, seem quite odd.

The university wants that book, so Adam is forced to go along...sending him careening into a chaotic world of too-cool artists, drill-sergeant stylists, mistaken identity, hysterical fans, Hollywood royalty, their courtiers and minions, maniacal LA drivers, an outlandish party, a drowning pool, a love-struck wild animal on a homemade veldt, 25 cans of salmon...and the horrible realization he’s fallen head-over-heels in love with a woman every man in the world desires, but who he knows could never love him back.

Or could she?

No comments: