Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, February 1, 2018

More crap WiFi...

The La Quinta I'm staying in is undergoing renovations so it's not very quiet and the wifi is sloooooow and difficult. I could barely do anything, last night, and it took me most of the afternoon to catch up on my emails and complete work that needed doing. That was after moving in everyone for the San Francisco Book Fair. We were done by 10 and lunch done by 11.

Of course, I also had a headache, yesterday, that started during a long flight and even longer time between meals -- I had an early lunch then didn't have dinner till the equivalent of 10pm, thanks to Southwest's first flight being late and them giving me less than an hour between flights to get from one end of a terminal to the other. I made it just as they started boarding, which probably added to the headache.

Anyway, this thing built into something vicious. Not a migraine; I had one of those once many years ago and no way do I ever want that, again. But with this kind of headache, I become a snarly beast willing to tear the throat out of anyone who crosses me...so that didn't help. I did manage not to piss off a possible client I had to call, and I was smart enough to wait till today to contact someone else about next week's packing job in NYC.

I'm staying on East Coast time while I'm here, so it's closing in on bath and bedtime, even though it's only 8:30pm. But I'll be back in Miami on Saturday, so it's better to just maintain and get up at 5:30 am...something I normally hate to do.

I did get the notes from a British dealer input into A65. They weren't as extensive as I thought they'd be -- just reminding me of things like, a white trash bag is a bin-bag to an Englishman, and an idiom I'd used (veddy) was coined in Hollywood, not London, so made no sense. Of course, he also wanted to correct pissed, because in the UK that means drunk and not angry, but it's in an American's dialogue so has to stay.

Something else he helped with was questioning a couple of sentences where I'd gotten too cute in my use of syntax. I have to be careful about that; just because it makes sense to me doesn't mean it's easy to understand by someone reading it for the first time. And...he found a couple typos.

Who knows, by the time I get done editing this book, it will be perfect -- HAH!

No comments: