Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, February 23, 2018

Commas are of the devil...

My first sentence in The Alice '65 started the whole idea of commas messing with me just to have fun. It reads as follows...

Had Adam Verlain known what was in store for him, that Monday, he would have stayed home the entire week.

So comes the question -- is that Monday a restrictive or non-restrictive clause? It makes pretty much the same amount of sense if I remove the first comma and make it --

--> Had Adam Verlain known what was in store for him that Monday, he would have stayed home the entire week.

But...it doesn't feel right. I'd prefer to use on Monday instead of that Monday. Which brings up the question of whether or not I'm being reflectively Victorian in my use of commas or if it's really a better, clearer sentence with both commas. I think the latter but Strunk & White is being no help in determining which is right. Maybe both are and it just depends on what style you want to use. I don't know. I just know it seems better with both commas. So I'm leaving them in.

This took up twenty minutes of my time. If I'm going to be having existential crises at every comma throughout the book, I'll be 90 before it's done. And don't get me started on participial phrases.

I'm also reading up on the best way to format the book before solidifying it for print. I've got all the pages in order that I want; I just need to input this round of changes then condense it into the 5.5x8.5 form to determine the final page count...at which time I can start in on the cover. But I have to have a finalized page count before I can send in for the required template to use with that.

I've reassigned my last ISBN to the hardcover and will use the one I had put with the book for the paperback. On Monday I'm applying for a new CiP number for the Library of Congress designation. I'm also going to send it out to a couple of sites to see if they'll review it.

Hmm...it's starting to look final, now...

No comments: