Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

BritBox v. Acorn

I subscribe to both BritBox and Acorn, online, to watch British murder mysteries. Cozy little mysteries, like Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple, Misomer Murders, Agatha Raisin, My Life is Murder and even Vera (now that Joe is back). Unfortunately, the two are not alike in ability.

BritBox runs fine with good images and flash, almost like Netflix. Acorn has trouble with its streaming. Shows freeze then start up, again, and the image quality doesn't seem to be as good. But they are the only ones who have a full selection of the Midsomer Murders series and some of the Christies. So I either tolerate it or do without.

It's not like I need them. I've got a couple hundred DVDs I have yet to view, mainly of films I've only seen on TV in the past. It Happened One Night. Roman Holiday. Soylent Green. Laura. I just don't want to bother with connecting my DVD player to my laptop. I don't have a TV.

I only watch shows to wind down from writing. I got another chapter done for APoS-NWFO. Brendan sneaking away from his aunt's house to be off to himself. Like he's escaping a prison. He stays in Houston but cuts off contact with his entire family...except his younger brother, Rhuari. But even that is second hand. He's still keeping a low-profile.

There was a part in volume one where Brendan saw a pack of dogs corner a cat and threaten to tear it apart, but the cat wound up spinning into a furious ball of fangs and claws and got away. Went someplace to tend to its injuries. That's what Brendan's doing after being attacked over dating a Cajun girl. He'll be gone for a year before learning his sister, Mairead, has come down from Toronto with her husband and kids. Then he gets trapped into returning to live with his aunt and uncle, again, as they straighten out his existence.

I don't know if that works...so we'll see what happens, next.

No comments: