Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Circling...

I may be honing in on a possible solution to my dilemma with New World For Old. There's a moment during Brendan's confrontation with his uncle that the man mentions the FBI and someone from the British service (unnamed) came looking for him. They suspect Brennan is really him and have dropped by, twice, asking to talk with him. I'm thinking Uncle Sean wants Brendan back in case those guys return so he can settle everything.

He's got a lawyer with connections in both Austin and Washington, DC. Jeremy's uncle. And Jeremy's father is an oncologist at a place like MD Anderson and they're neighbors and friends of the family. Plus Bren and Jeremy get along well. So they might help.

That would feed into volume three, when he's found out and arrested. But it still seems a bit...I dunno...tenuous. Weak. I want something really strong and maybe even surprising. Not sure what. Right now, it's still on the back burner as a possibility. I know better than to rush things.

But I do hate it when crap like this happens, because I never know how long it will take for me to work the problem out. Normally it's not too bad. A couple days. But there have been occasions where resettling the story in my head has taken weeks...months, even. I am at the point where I trust the process, even if I do get impatient with it. I know it will come out better.

But will it mess up the rest of the story in any way? No telling.

No comments: