Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, March 24, 2024

Reformatted for proofing...

I've found if I reformat what I've written for a book, I notice mistakes more easily. So I've redone APoS-NWFO to go through it from beginning to end, and that's exactly what I'm finding -- typos and missing words and such. When this is done, I'm printing it out and doing the red pen. Then comes feedback and proofing.

I also test-formatted it into the basic size and style I'd use for the final hardcover book. Looks like this will be around 360-375 pages, including title pages and such, and over 145,000 words. I've gone through three chapters, so far, and cut about 400 words, so it's possible that might go down as I get into the more volatile parts I've written, but I know better than to plan for that. It's like my psyche takes over and decides, No, we need to explore this whole sub-plot in full detail as Brendan thinks and considers his life.

I also think I've found the basis for the dust jacket of the book. I really like the feel of this young man's pose and expression. I'm going to try and add some bits to make it look like a passport photo. Just need to see if I can smooth it over. I'm not all that versant in Ps and am finding it difficult to use. But we'll see how it goes.

I actually licensed the photo from Shutterstock, so I'm not worried about using it. I may seek out an actual Irish passport from 1972, if there is anything like that around. Then I could lay this photo into it. You never know, with today's web...

But at least I'm moving forward, again.

No comments: