Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, March 1, 2024

Segue...

Gonna do a little tooting of my own horn, here. I found that I got another 5-star review on one of my MM books -- The Beast in the Nothing Room.

Well, that was seriously dark, twisted and futuristic. Finn is a cop in England who is on his way for a date when he gets called to check out some strange lights. He is then abducted and taken to the “nothing room”, where is raped. He then embarks on a journey to figure out what is going on as he finds several more victims, several that wind up dead exactly 24 hours later. There is a lot of rape and brutality in this book but it is so good. It is convulsed in the best way. The mystery that surrounds these abductions and rapes? Man it is very creative and cruel and wonderful. The writing is phenomenal and just a wonderfully dark, taboo, sci-fi read.

This is the fourth 5-star review it's gotten on Smashwords, with two 3-star reviews. On Goodreads, it's got a rating average of 4-stars, and on Amazon the written reviews are really great.

The concept of this book is...well, I don't know where it came from. But this is the tag line:

How can you stop a serial killer who kills no one and doesn't even exist?

This was a story that came together almost in order, like it was already written in my head and I was just spitting it out. One part of the inspiration was Nick Hendrix, on Midsomer Murders.

I don't know why, but this is the image that got me started on building Finn. Then a really bad murder mystery called In The Dark gave me another character, Rob (personified by an actor named Ben Batt). And I just started writing. 

There was still a lot of back and forth on what's happening, not to mention how and why, but it danced in my head in so many ways and with a lot less angst than usual.

I did make one mistake in not developing one relationship quite well enough, so I've worked to make sure that doesn't happen, again. But overall, it's my most inventive book. I don't know of anything else like it.

I'd love to see it made into a movie...but the sexual aspect probably kills that. A MM Sci-Fi/Horror film with male rape as an important aspect of it? Hell, it'd be hard to pull off even as MF.

Still...I can look at this and say, "I wrote that." And be proud.

No comments: