Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

I have a favorite pair of pants

They're big and green and clunky, with holes around the cargo-pockets, back pockets (two of which I sewed up because they were showing aspect of me that should not be seen) and a new one in the crotch area.  Yet still I wear them because they fit right and feel right.  I'll probably keep doing so till they fall apart or become illegal to wear outside my apartment.

It's the same with certain movies I like.  I can watch "The Women" (1939) and "The Maltese Falcon" (1941) and "The Big Sleep" (the 1946 re-shoot, not the 1945 edition that's been making the rounds) and "The Bourne Series" with Matt Damon over and over.  I like how they fit together and just enjoy the process of the story in each one.  While there are other films that are just as good and considered classics that I've only seen once and have no interest in seeing, again.  "The Godfather 1 & 2" for instance.  Brilliant movies but viewing them once was plenty.

Works with music, too.  I have CDs by Enigma and Depeche Mode that I listen to, over and over.  I won't buy a Cd if I don't think I'll feel that way about it.

Then there's my writing.  I can reread some of my work over and over and want to change nothing in it, while other bits I tinker with, incessantly, even to the point of absurdity.  I just seem to know when something is right, in my own brain, then it's right and that is all there is to it, and no matter how many times I return to it, nothing will change.  I guess that's when I know when to end my work on a story, when it reads right.

LD will be a long process, when it comes to this, because I like my characters and want them to be happy.  And for once I'm not rushing or pushing as hard as I normally do.  I'm going through and working on a new draft to make certain it's clear and clean...and some parts just don't work, yet.  But they will.  I know it.

How lovely it is to be able to trust your characters.

No comments: