Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Scalloped potatoes

That's what I'm making for dinner.  Brutally rich and delicious and not at all good for me, which is why they're so wonderful.  And the recipe is EASY.

1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup (NOT that low-sodium crap).
5 medium Russet potatoes
1 smallish onion cut in half-rings
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese (I like the extra sharp but regular is all right)
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese (buy it this way; it's easier)
2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese

Peel and cut the potatoes in whole, round slices, then in a bowl mix the mushroom soup, half a soup can of water, onions, the Monterrey Jack, Parmesan and half the Cheddar Cheese.

Once blended, mix in the potatoes, making sure they are all separated and well coated by the mix (I use my hands to do this but I'm a guy so it's acceptable) then pour it all into a casserole dish.  Sprinkle the rest of the cheddar cheese on top, cover it  and bake at 350 degrees for an hour and ten minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste (tho' I never actually wind up adding salt; the mushroom soup has plenty).

Next will be my recipe for Cheese soup, which is even WORSE for you.  I'm feeling very Betty Crocker, right now...or is it Marie Callender?

I could live off this crap...and HAVE lived off potatoes, before.  Guess there's more Irish in me than I thought.

Off to New York City on Thursday for a job.  This one, I'm flying blind on but hope to have fun and am actually looking forward to seeing some of the books I'm packing.  Many of them are fore-edge -- meaning the edge of the book's papers will reveal a painting if held in the right way.  Very cool.

I should set a story in the world of antiquarian books.  Maybe a cataloger who looks like Chris Evans but is shy is accused of stealing a copy of the Nuremberg Chronicle (VERY expensive) and has to clear his name with the help of a French customs official...or Italian (those two are the harshest when it comes to antiquarian books being sent in and out of the country)...who looks like Olivier Martinez did in "Horseman on the Roof".  Things begin to heat up until they discover they're really long-lost brothers meant to inherit a massive fortune ensconced in a castle in western Germany...which also holds the one and only copy of the Nuremberg Chronicle that has a misprinted page and is priceless (and part of the fortune; best to diversify in these things, you know)...and the evil genius behind them being separated is controlled by a dog named Mike who's really the psychic channel for a wicked witch named Dolores.  She wants the Chronicle to use its ink to cast a spell on the world that will make her its ruler, but the ink must be mingled with the blood of one of the brothers and nobody knows which one so both must be taken and tested but one saves the other when he turns out to be a werewolf and...and I think I've gone off the deep end, storywise.

Still...does anyone hear a mingling of "Twilight", "Harry Potter" and "The DaVinci Code" here?

No comments: