Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Friday, October 5, 2012

First draft of "The Alice '65"

It's 106 pages long and still meanders a bit. And I just thought of a point of logic I need to address. Plus...I glossed through a couple of scenes I wasn't sure about just to get to the next part of the script. But now I have a first complete draft and am printing it up and can do my notes and corrections on that. And I feel...relaxed. Almost pleased.

I think I've established Adam as something of an innocent, and Casey starts out totally self-involved, just not in a typical or obviously Hollywood way...I think. I hope. I dunno. On top of it all, Lando's revealed a bit of vulnerability that surprised me, but Gertrude is all set. Yes, it still needs a lot of work, but the hardest part's done.

No...not quite. I have to work in some serious comedy. THAT will be a bitch and a half. But at least I have some guidelines, thanks to that class, and I'm reading Garry Marshall's book, "Wake Me When It's Funny" to see if I can get a better clue as to how to do this.

November is National novel Writing Month, and something I learned from reworking "The Lyons' Den" into a book was how much better I could have made the script, now that I knew even more of the back story. I may do that with A65 -- spend November working it into a novel so I can expand on the story in ways as yet unknown.

I got authorization from Nazca Plains to shift the 3 volumes of "Bobby Carapisi" into one and offer it through Amazon, but I have to come up with my own artwork for the cover. A friend of mine pointed out that no one really knows what the book is about from how it's currently set up, so I may also work in a sub-heading to the title to better indicate that.

I'm going to use BC to test the waters of self-publishing. I haven't done much serious research into it, yet, but if it works, I may put A65 out as a self-published work -- electronic and paperback -- and do something along the same lines with "David Martin". Though for that one, I'll need to work in some illustrations. Just pen and ink, for now.

Who knows -- maybe this way I'll actually make a bit of money off my books.

No comments: