Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

United is low rent

It's funny, but United has this history and image of being a great airline, but it's really cheesy. All of their terminal facilities that I've been in, so far, have been awkward and uncomfortable, at best. And while the jet I flew on between Seattle and DC was brand new, it was so cramped and minimally appointed, I felt like I was on a cut-rate carrier.

Southwest can be cheap, but you get free drinks and snacks and their planes don't seem quite as tight. Maybe it's because they don't have a first class section. Jet Blue's the same way, and with their planes you get videos, if you want them. On the United flight, I couldn't open my laptop wide enough to see my DVDs without angling it. Granted I'm not as thin as I used to be, but when I'm on Southwest and Jet Blue, I can lay my laptop on the seat tray and open it.

As for Dulles...the name is appropriate. It's a very dull, disinterested airport with minimums of everything.

I'm sure half my grumpiness is due to my sleep schedule being off. I watched "Being Human" on the first leg of the trip because I can't sleep on a plane. I'll doze and rest and all that...but actual sleep never comes. So I don't bother trying, anymore.

I like BH, a lot. It has the ability to surprise me. Like the final confrontation between the good critters and the bad ones at the end of episode 6 -- I knew basically what was going to happen, but the writers and director probably figured that and played with it, so it was still a surprise. What grounds the series even more in how they don't shy away from the fact that the lead males are a vampire and werewolf, and those creatures kill. I do find it interesting that the female lead is a ghost. Symbolically, that's a bit too much...but it makes sense in the context of the story.

I'm warming to Aiden Turner as the broody bloodsucker. He's built a good charisma on screen with his fellow actors. Russell Tovey's shown he can go overboard on the twitchiness, but it fits into his character. And Lenora Chrichlow can shift from cool to crushed in a heartbeat, and make it work.

I may actually buy this series.

No comments: