Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Being Human

I just watched the first three episodes of what is apparently a cult hit in England and the US...and it reminded me a lot of "Buffy..." in how it dealt with everyday issues that people face. George, played by Russell Tovey, is a Jewish werewolf who has issues, and we ain't just talking about him getting all hairy and wild once every 4 weeks. Mitchell, played by Aiden Turner, is a vampire in the "Angel" mode but without the curse and with more than a dash of blood lust and problems with self-control. Annie, played by Lenora Crichlow, is a needy ghost who who needs to find out why she's being kept on this earth instead of passing into the next plane of existence.

The boys work in a hospital and help each other out, even as the vampire clan keeps coming around. And Mitchell's nature is not glossed over; he feeds on a girl in the first episode. Some of the set-ups are a bit sit-com-y, but the actors pull them off. And Russell has no problem with shedding his clothes out in the wild as he changes. I seriously doubt they'd include that much nudity in the American remake.

This is one of the few programs that caught me unawares, a few times, and doesn't hesitate to mix in the tragic aspects of their existences. I really like it.

My one complaint is, they start everything partway into the story. Apparently there was a pilot episode where Mitchell and Annie were played by different actors, and that set everything up. I wish I'd known; I would've seen that, first...and may still. I found a couple of links where I may be able to watch it online.

I let myself indulge after I worked through a restructuring of A65. Tomorrow I'm inputting it, and this will, hopefully, be a more solid draft. Then I'm off to Seattle on Saturday and not back till Tuesday morning (redeye for my return), so will dig back into it come Wednesday. And then will be open to getting feedback.

Maybe.

Depends on how funny I can make it seem to me.

No comments: