Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Kindle is out to make me crazy

I ran a test of what BC would look like in Kindle, now that it's all formatted. And almost everything was coming out just fine. Title page. Table of contents linking to assigned chapters. Formatting of the paragraphs nice and neat. I can test it in 8 different Kindle formats, and in every one, everything comes out great except for 3 items.

1. The copyright declaration stays at the top of the page instead of going to the bottom, where I want it.

2. My dedication page does the same thing.

3. I cannot get Kindle to recognize I have a Table of Contents to link back to. Like, if you're on Chapter 10 and you want to go back to the ToC to get to chapter 6, you just hit Control T and it's supposed to go, automatically. But it won't. It keeps telling me I don't have a Table of Contents set up in the program. And this is after me doing everything it says to do to set that up.

I've tried just about everything from making the ToC a heading to not making it a heading to closing the program out to restarting my computer to chanting some Indian spell. Nothing's worked.

It's like 97% right...but it has to be 100%.

And to think I may have to go through this with other programs, too. It ain't easy being published.

I wonder if, now that I have 9 books published, Random House or Penguin would give me a look-see? Then they can handle this crap.

No comments: