Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Not hard, just tedious...

A guy following my Tumbler blog turned me onto Kindle Preview, an app that will take your book and show you how it'll look in an electronic upload. Doing that showed me where I'm making mistakes in formatting a hell of a lot better than the so-called manual Kindle puts out.

For example, it's good to name or number your chapters. That helps the Kindle user skip to where he or she needs to go to keep reading (I guess). But it also clarifies that there's been a deliberate break in the setup. I hadn't done that and skimming through I could see how hard it would be to find your place in the book if you lose it.

I also can see why italics are difficult to read on a Kindle or Nook. And I don't need to keep the lines double-spaced. Man, when I submitted my manuscripts to those publishers, they had a lot of work to do to make them presentable.

My assumption is, this will also work for Nook, Kobo, and print publishing, but I haven't gotten to that point, yet.

When I make A65 into a novel, I'll name the chapters as I go along. I did that for LD and it actually worked out fun.

It'd be nice if I could make some actual money off this. I'm so broke, right now, I'm juggling bills, again. And my car needs servicing. And don't get me started on the taxes I'll owe. At least I finally met my deductible for my health insurance, so now I only pay a co-pay on meds and 20% of the allowable on Dr. visits.

Who knows? Maybe Romney'll win and I'll move to Canada and work in Saskatchewan.

No comments: