Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, October 1, 2012

The last 15 pages are the hardest...

...And driving me nuts. I know what needs to go into them, but everything I come up with reads flat or unbelievable, and I want everything in this script to be organic...from the actions Adam and Casey take to the comedy to the events surrounding them to what is looking more and more like a romance.

As I dig deeper into the story, one aspect of it makes less and less sense...but it sets up so much of what happens and works so well on an emotional level, so I hate to change it or lose it. It's important to Adam's character. Maybe that's where the trouble lies...or maybe I haven't dug deep enough, yet. But I have to work this out before anything else can work.

Adding to the chaos in my mind is a dream I had about this script. I was on the red carpet and spilled my coffee, which doesn't make sense because I HATE coffee. Russell Tovey smacked me in the back of the head and said, "Now you've got to clean it up, and you in a nice suit." But Casey stepped in it and suddenly the cup was back in my hand. Thing is, I don't remember who was playing Casey...but I knew her. And all I said was, "Figures."

Shit, I just figured it out. It's Adam's outburst as he's leaving Lando's party -- it's not justified by what's happened. I've been pulling back on Casey because I'm afraid of making her too much of what she is -- a self-centered actress.

Shit, Kyle -- you can be such a wuss at times.

No comments: