Derry, Northern Ireland

Derry, Northern Ireland
A book I'm working on is set in this town.

Monday, January 1, 2018

First post of 2018...I know, very original...

More done on UG, today. I connected two sections near the end and added more to them. There's still a lot more work to smooth them out and I have some repetition in them, but that goes away as I do rewrites...normally. We shall see. I have one final chapter to add to the end, then comes building the bridge between where I left Dev and Kenneth and where Dev finally figures it all out.

Also did some pimping of my published books on Tumbler. Start the new year off right, for them. A bit more cleaning done, too. Not as much as is needed, but I honestly don't care. I have A65 and UG to concern me, right now, and will worry about vacuuming and sorting through paperwork after I'm done.

I did iron and watch Miracle on 34th Street, after dinner. Colorized. Sacrilege, I know, but it was interesting to see how inept the colorization was. Maureen O'Hara's red hair kept going brown, and it seemed everyone was in monochromatic tones -- all blue or all aqua or all brown or all gray. The story and acting are still so strong it didn't matter; it was just a different way of looking at the movie.

I'm trying to get into A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and I do not like much of it. It's one of those books you feel like you need to read...but I absolutely despise Ignatius Reilly and his extreme selfishness and bad manners. Maybe it'll get better -- I normally give books I don't care for 100 pages to get me -- but I doubt it.

I will say some of the other characters are interesting -- an old white man who accidentally gets arrested, a black guy who's arrested for nothing and winds up working at a bar for next to nothing -- but the main character and his mother are grating on my nerves, and that Italian cop is just ludicrous.

If this is what it takes to win a Pulitzer, I'll never get one.

No comments: