A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Friday, July 31, 2026

Down day...

I'm 74 fucking years old and still cannot quite accept that reality. How the hell did I survive this long? All the stupid shit I've done...yet here I am. Overfed and overly self-indulgent. And working on a book whose meaning escapes me.

Completely.

But ignorance never kept me from doing anything in the past so I guess this won't, either. My one saving grace, at the moment, is I'm having a glass of milk. 2%, not whole. I'm so health-conscious. That it comes after having had a slice of chocolate cake with strawberries is entirely beside the point.

Funny, but milk has always been my go-to when I feel the need to reset myself, in any way. I've never been big on drinking water except to keep from becoming dehydrated. Iced tea is nice, with lemon and a dash of sugar. Hot tea with milk and honey. And DPZ is what I most enjoy with meals.

But milk is almost like a comfort food. I could live on it. Love that cheese is made from it. And butter. And even yoghurt, though I'm not as into that as I used to be. I began to lose interest when Dannon cut back on its offerings, and Greek yoghurt is nice but not quite what I want, anymore.

I'm finding a lot of me is going into Simon, helping to flesh him out. I'm beginning to see him more and more in some believable form, within my mind. And sensing his wishes and dreams...and his own amazement at having reached his age.

He still won't tell me what it is he wants to say with this novel...but I think I can finally trust the process. The spine of the story is there. All that matters now is the flesh on the bones.

No comments: