A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home

A Place of Safety - Derry / New World For Old / Home Not Home
All three volumes are available in hardcover, paperback and ebook!

Sunday, July 19, 2026

17,500...

Officially. Up to the point where Simon will be heading in to talk with Dillon and Elissa about the case. He hopes his information will cause them to back down, but he's learned they tend to give favoritism to people with connections so he's not under any illusions.

I also worked in another occasion where his stubborn streak kicked in and nearly got him arrested. And that's partially because he was gay-bashed and tried to report it.  Which was similar to something that actually happened to me.

I joined a gym on Fredericksburg Road when I was at Trinity University, wanting to get into shape before I graduated. A powerbuilder who was a regular pulled a stupid stunt against a woman who was there and I called him out for it. I wasn't the only one who yelled at him, but he focused on skinny-assed me.

Came over, all huffy and expecting me to back down as other guys tried to calm the situation. But he had been a dumbass and I refused to take it back, so he sucker-punched me. Knocked me into a barbell and I was out cold. Had a concussion. Was taken to the ER. I later heard he was afraid I knew karate because I wasn't afraid of him.

While there, a cop came in to ask me about it. In uniform. I'd seen him in the gym a couple times. He quietly talked me out of filing a report because the guy was saying I came onto him. And no one was going to contradict him. He pointed out the anti-sodomy laws in Texas...which at that time applied to everyone, not just gay men...and said I could easily wind up in prison.

I stupidly backed down. I managed to get the dumbass to pay the deductible on my insurance, but that was it. No acknowledgement he was wrong. No apology. Nothing but a check through his attorney.

I used a version of it for Everett in APoS, so pumped it up a bit for MQM. Made it nastier, overall, and Simon is not as innocent. But unlike Everett and myself, Simon doesn't back down. Oh, he doesn't file charges; he just gets even in a way that ends the problem.

I almost think that's better.

No comments: